This pdf template is designed to help you layout the quarter round pinwheel pattern on the cake pictured above. This is for the lined template only. There are written directions within the pdf on how to use the wax paper transfer method to execute the design, but I am assuming you have already taken my first class, “Clean & Simple Cake Design” and understand how to use the wax paper transfer method. It’s an incredible easy technique that allows you to transfer any graphic or pattern onto your cake simply and precisely using this template as a guide. If you’d like to take the class, here’s a link for 50% off.
In this pdf packet, you will receive TWO layout designs for a 4″ and 6″ tall cake. One design uses a 5/8″ cutter and one design uses a 3/4″ cutter. I also color several of the designs to show you there a lot of design options to this layout depending on how you color the quarter round tiles.
You may use this template/design on a fondant, ganached or buttercream covered cake. If using buttercream, the cake must be chilled and firm in order to press on the design.
I am using the Not Just Cakes By Annie: “Quarter Round Cutter Set” for this pattern. There are many ways to color this design and thereby create lots of different patterns.
1. This pdf is ONLY to provide you with the template to create the quarter round pattern on the bottom tier. This is not a tutorial…you are buying a lined design to help you lay out the design perfectly and precisely (see pictures above to show you what you are buying).
2. There will be a seam in the back of the cake with this design. Due to set cutter sizes and various cake circumferences, you will not have a perfect, continuous design. Please use this template with that in mind.
Have fun and please post pics so I can see all the fun you are having with these templates!
Basic Skills Necessary:
- Stack, fill, crumb coat a cake to a smooth finish or cover a cake in fondant.
- Understand how the wax paper transfer method works I teach in “Clean & Simple Cake Design” class
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- This is for any size cake. The template includes options for a 4″ tall cake and 6″ tall cake. For any other size, you can cut the template down or add to it by making multiple copies for taller cakes.
- Not Just Cakes By Annie: “Quarter Round Cutter Set“
- Fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate
- Shortening preferred (Crisco, Sweetex) or butter
- Wax paper, cellophane or parchment paper