This pdf template is designed to help you layout the perfect polka dots!! This is for the lined template only. There are written directions within the pdf on how to use the wax paper transfer method to execute the design, but I am assuming you have already taken my first class, “Clean & Simple Cake Design” and understand how to use the wax paper transfer method. It’s an incredible easy technique that allows you to transfer any graphic or pattern onto your cake simply and precisely using this template as a guide. If you’d like to take the class, here’s a link for 50% off.
In this pdf packet, you will receive FOUR layout designs for this pattern. You will get a diagonal and straight pattern for a 4″ and 6″ cake as well as a more spaced version for a 4″ and 6″ cake (see photos above).
You may use this template on a fondant, ganached or buttercream covered cake. If using buttercream, the cake must be chilled and firm in order to press on the design.
I am using the small side of the Wilton icing tip #12. It is a 1/4″ circle cutter. Any similar sized circle cutter can be used as this template is simply a guide for helping you to keep your polka dots nice and straight as you transfer them to your cakes.
1. This pdf does NOT include information on how to achieve the metallic look on the top tier, the horizontal stripes on the bottom tier nor how to create the wafer paper flower. This pdf is ONLY to provide you with the template to create the medium polka dot pattern on the center tier. This is not a tutorial…you are buying a lined design (see pictures above to show you what you are buying). If you are interested in learning how to execute the metallic look, how to build a tall tier or how to create a wafer paper flower, I show that in my second class, “Simple Modern Cake Design“.
2. There will be a seam in the back of the cake with this design. Due to set cutter sizes and various cake circumferences, you will not have a perfect, continuous design. Please use this template with that in mind.
Have fun and please post pics so I can see all the fun you are having with these templates!
Basic Skills Necessary:
- Understand how the wax paper transfer method works I teach in “Clean & Simple Cake Design” class
- Stack, fill, crumb coat a cake to a smooth finish or cover a cake in fondant.
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- This is for any size cake. The template includes options for a 4″ tall cake and 6″ tall cake. For any other size, you can cut the template down or add to it by making multiple copies for taller cakes.
- Cutter: Wilton #12 Icing Tip or a 1/4″ circle cutter
- Fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate
- Shortening preferred (Crisco, Sweetex) or butter
- Wax paper, cellophane or parchment paper