This pdf template is designed to help you layout the large polka dot pattern on the cake pictured above. This is for the lined template only. There are written directions within the pdf on how to use the wax paper transfer method to execute the design, but I am assuming you have already taken my first class, “Clean & Simple Cake Design” and understand how to use the wax paper transfer method. It’s an incredible easy technique that allows you to transfer any graphic or pattern onto your cake simply and precisely using this template as a guide. If you’d like to take the class, here’s a link for 50% off.
In this pdf packet, you will receive FOUR layout designs for this pattern. There is a spaced version with a diagonal and straight layout as well as a more condensed polka dot pattern with a diagonal and straight layout. Each layout is sized for a 4″ or 6″ cake.
You may use this template/design on a fondant, ganached or buttercream covered cake. If using buttercream, the cake must be chilled and firm in order to press on the design.
I am using the wide side of the Wilton #12 icing tip (5/8″ diameter circle) for this design. You can use that tip or another circle sized close to the 5/8″. It doesn’t have to be exact. The circles on the template will help you precisely layout almost any sized circle.
1. This pdf does NOT include information on how to achieve the metallic look on the top tier, the horizontal stripes on the bottom tier nor how to create the wafer paper flower. This pdf is ONLY to provide you with the template to create the large polka dot pattern on the center tier. This is not a tutorial…you are buying a lined design (see pictures above to show you what you are buying). If you are interested in learning how to execute the metallic look, how to build a tall cake or how to create a wafer paper flower, I show that in my second class, “Simple Modern Cake Design“. I show how to create perfect horizontal patterns and tons more in my first basics class called “Clean & Simple Cake Design“.
2. There will be a seam in the back of the cake with this design. Due to set cutter sizes and various cake circumferences, you will not have a perfect, continuous design. Please use this template with that in mind.
Have fun and please post pics so I can see all the fun you are having with these templates!
Basic Skills Necessary:
- Stack, fill, crumb coat a cake to a smooth finish or cover a cake in fondant.
- Understand how the wax paper transfer method works I teach in “Clean & Simple Cake Design” class
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- This is for any size cake. The template includes options for a 4″ tall cake and 6″ tall cake. For any other size, you can cut the template down or add to it by making multiple copies for taller cakes.
- Wilton #12 Icing Tip or a 5/8″ circle cutter
- Fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate
- Wax paper, cellophane or parchment paper
- Shortening preferred (Crisco, Sweetex) or butter