This pdf template is designed to help you layout the circle diamond pattern on the cake pictured above. This is for the lined template only. There are written directions within the pdf on how to use the wax paper transfer method to execute the design, but I am assuming you have already taken my first class, “Clean & Simple Cake Design” and understand how to use the wax paper transfer method. It’s an incredible easy technique that allows you to transfer any graphic or pattern onto your cake simply and precisely using this template as a guide.
In this pdf packet, you will receive THREE layout designs for this pattern. One is a larger, more open design (like the photo of the cake above) and the other two are a more condensed design, one with dots and one without. See photos above.
You may use this template/design on a fondant, ganached or buttercream covered cake. If using buttercream, the cake must be chilled and firm in order to press on the design.
I am using the Diamond Cutters: “Not Just Cakes By Annie”, Circle/Diamond Pattern Set. For the tiny dots, you may use the Wilton #8 Icing Tip, dragees or piped royal icing dots (the dots are 1/8″ diameter). Color can really effect the overall look of this design. Here are a few ideas that can show you how diverse the pattern is.
1. This pdf does NOT include information on how to achieve the metallic look on the top tier, the horizontal stripes on the bottom tier nor how to create the wafer paper flower. This pdf is ONLY to provide you with the template to create the circle diamond pattern on the center tier. This is not a tutorial…you are buying a lined design to help you lay out the patterns you see above. If you are interested in learning how to execute the metallic look or how to create a wafer paper flower, I show that in my second class, “Simple Modern Cake Design“.
2. There will be a seam in the back of the cake with this design. Due to set cutter sizes and various cake circumferences, you will not have a perfect, continuous design. Please use this template with that in mind.
Have fun and please post pics so I can see all the fun you are having with these templates!
Basic Skills Necessary:
- Stack, fill, crumb coat a cake to a smooth finish or cover a cake in fondant.
- Understand how the wax paper transfer method works I teach in “Clean & Simple Cake Design” class
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- This is for any size cake. The template includes options for a 4″ tall cake and 6″ tall cake. For any other size, you can cut the template down or add to it by making multiple copies for taller cakes.
- In this PDF packet you will receive two layout designs for a 4″ and 6″ tall cake. One is a more condensed spacing and one is a more open spacing (like the photo of the cake above).
- Diamond Cutters: “Not Just Cakes By Annie”, Circle/Diamond Pattern Set
- Wax paper, cellophane or parchment paper
- Shortening preferred (Crisco, Sweetex) or butter
- Fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate
- Wilton #8 Icing Tip for tiny circles, dragees or piped royal icing dots (1/8″ diameter)