This pdf template is designed to help you layout the circle bubble pattern on the cake pictured above. This is for the lined template only. There are written directions within the pdf on how to use the wax paper transfer method to execute the design, but I am assuming you have already taken my first class, “Clean & Simple Cake Design” and understand how to use the wax paper transfer method. If you’d like to take the class, click link above for 50% off.
In this PDF packet, you will receive one pattern template for a 4″ tall cake. I am using standard Wilton icing tips for all the circles. You will need Wilton tip #8, 10 and 12 or any circle cutters close to 1/8″, 3/16″, 1/4″ and 5/8″ in diameter.
You may use this template/design on a fondant, ganached or buttercream covered cake. If using buttercream, the cake must be chilled and firm in order to press on the design.
1. This pdf does NOT include information on how to achieve the metallic look on the top tier nor how to create the wafer paper flower. This pdf is ONLY to provide you with the template to create the circle bubble pattern on the center tier. This is not a tutorial…you are buying a lined design (see pictures above to show you what you are buying). For information on how to use metallics or wafer paper, see my second class, “Simply Modern Cake Design”
2. There will potentially be a seam in the back of the cake with this design. Due to set cutter sizes and various cake circumferences, you may not have a perfect, continuous design. Please use this template with that in mind. When you have about 2-3″ left in the back of the cake, begin placing the last two or three columns by hand, spacing them farther or closer in order to achieve a more uniform look.
Have fun and please post pics so I can see all the fun you are having with these templates!
Basic Skills Necessary:
- Stack, fill, crumb coat a cake to a smooth ganache or buttercream finish, or cover a cake in fondant.
- Understand how the wax paper transfer method works I teach in my “Clean & Simple Cake Design” class
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- This is for any size cake. The template includes the design for a 4″ tall cake. For any other size, you can cut the template down or add to it by making multiple copies for taller cakes.
- Wax paper, cellophane or parchment paper
- Shortening preferred (Crisco, Sweetex) or butter
- Fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate
- Wilton Icing Tips #8, #10 and #12