The other thing Summer designed was the cake. I take NO credit for this sweet cake except actually making it! So it was a team effort! She sent me a sketch and I drew it up in my Autocad program…here is the drawing.
I also created the template for the bottom tier using photo paper. That worked really well because it didn’t stick! A new idea I had that I will be using again. Instead of card stock, use photo paper to make templates.
I ended up making that bow about 6 times! I was trying to make it like Planet Cake where it sits up instead of laying flat! I just could NOT get it to sit right and had to keep remaking it. Finally I gave up and just laid it flat. What I didn’t realize would happen is the batting I was using to fluff up the bow ended up leaving tons of marks behind when I took the batting out of the bow. So, I ended up making a new one and taking it back to the party to replace the other one! Yes, I’m weird…WAY to driven to perfection!! Oh well…it DID look better! – and that’s what counts! Here’s the final version!
The first thing that was new for me was the quilting effect on the top tier. It’s a common technique, but I just had never done it! I tried just using my 60/30 triangle from my drafting days but it didn’t work because it was straight plastic and wouldn’t curve to the cake. So, I went looking for my card stock to make a template and realized I was out! AH! – What to do!??? Then it hit me…photo paper! It has that nice glossy side that doesn’t stick and it was the perfect height – 6″! So, I used that for both the quilting guide and the template for the bottom tier. I love how “bad” things that happen can turn out for good! God is so gracious!!
I also measured down on the angled part of the photo paper the width of each of my stripes and cut into the photo paper with an exacto knife. This way when I laid the paper up onto the cake and pressed on it slightly, that little cut in the photo paper left a tiny mark on the cake to guide me for the next line. It worked perfectly! I then used the Wilton quilting tool (seen here) to make the impressions along the photo paper. The black balls are little black edible sprinkle beads you can buy at Micheal’s.
OH, one other thing I forgot to mention is the pink fondant I used!! – HUGE new learning lesson! Pink gel colors fade!! I colored the fondant pink (see this first picture above with the pins in it), and by the time it got to the party and set out for a bit, it faded to a peachy-pink (see the pic below). It faded a good 3-4 shades of pink and what was left was much less pink and more fleshy in color…it was really weird!! Summer said she had that happen to her too and was shocked!! I guess if you don’t want the pink to fade, you have to air brush it! – but I don’t have an airbrush machine! So, if you know of another way to keep pink gel colored fondant from fading (besides working with it in the dark or keeping it in a box), write me a comment…I’d LOVE to know! – for future!